brand header icon

Mercedes replaces Hamilton with teen prodigy Antonelli

Mercedes to replace Hamilton with teen sensation Antonelli in 2025.

In a move set to shake the Formula One world, Mercedes has confirmed that teenage prodigy Andrea Kimi Antonelli will replace seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton starting in the 2025 season. This decision was solidified just minutes after Hamilton informed Mercedes Team Principal Toto Wolff of his impending move to Ferrari at the end of 2024.

Despite the availability of seasoned drivers like Fernando Alonso and Carlos Sainz for the 2025 season, Wolff had other plans. "I made up my mind five minutes after Lewis Hamilton told me he was going to Ferrari," he revealed on Saturday. "Obviously we were discussing other options, and obviously the Max idea couldn't be discounted completely, but instinctively this is the line-up that I always wanted."

Antonelli's rise

Antonelli, who turned 18 just last week, was scouted by Mercedes' driver development program in April 2019 while still karting. His rapid rise through the motorsport ranks has been nothing short of spectacular, exceeding expectations at every level. "Above all, his exceptional pace was the differentiator," said Wolff. However, Wolff admits that Antonelli still has much to learn, highlighting his accident during Friday practice at Monza as a "very public proof" of his inexperience.

"I think one of the key ingredients of the really best ones is to hit the ground up and running, and go straight, fast," Wolff explained. "That's why Kimi yesterday learned in a very, very hard way. Sometimes, it needs to sting, then it sticks."

Antonelli's journey to Formula One has been accelerated at a remarkable pace. After winning the Formula Regional European Championship in 2023, he skipped Formula 3 entirely and moved straight to Formula 2. Currently seventh in the standings with two race victories, Antonelli has also been conducting private F1 tests with Mercedes in their 2021 and 2022 cars across tracks like Austria, Imola, Silverstone, Barcelona, and Spa-Francorchamps.

There was speculation earlier this year that Antonelli could be loaned out to Williams, following their decision to drop Logan Sargeant, but Wolff stuck with their in-house development plan. "When thinking about an opportunity at Williams, we opted to continue with our program and continuing to educate Kimi, finishing with another FP1 session," Wolff said.

Speaking earlier this year, Antonelli admitted he had reservations about his readiness for F1. However, the private testing has helped build his confidence. "I've seen some major improvements and I've been feeling much better in the car," Antonelli said. "I still have so much to learn, but every time I got in the car, I feel so much better."

The future with Russell and Antonelli

Mercedes is banking on this youthful partnership to lead the team into a new era. "When Lewis decided to go for another challenge, no one can replace him in all of his stature," Wolff acknowledged. "But that doesn't mean that the team is not going to prosper with two drivers that represent the future."

"I'm sure that if we are capable of giving George and Kimi a car that can win races and championships, we can hopefully continue the legacy of championship titles that Lewis left here, with these two, as Mercedes."

With Hamilton departing to Ferrari and Antonelli stepping in, the 2025 season promises to be an exhilarating chapter in Mercedes' rich F1 history. The team and fans alike will be keenly watching to see how swiftly Antonelli can adapt and if this bold move will yield the continuation of their storied success.

Up Next

Season-Defining Headlines

Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen after the Spanish GP at Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, June 23, 2024.

F1 2024: A year in pictures – the fight for supremacy among Red Bull, McLaren, Ferrari, and Mercedes

Max Verstappen clinches fourth consecutive F1 title at the 2024 Las Vegas Grand Prix