brand header icon

Pierre Gasly has been trying to convince Carlos Sainz to join Alpine

Hungarian Grand Prix update

Pierre Gasly has revealed his efforts to persuade Carlos Sainz to join him at Renault-owned Alpine, though the Frenchman noted that the final decision was still pending, much like every other move in Formula One.

Sainz, who is set to leave Ferrari at the end of the season to make way for seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton, has been exploring his future options for several months, making him a pivotal figure in the driver market.

"I think Alpine, the team has good options on the table," Gasly told reporters at the Hungarian Grand Prix. "At the end of the day, it's not up to me. I welcome the fastest guy out there. We all know who it is. But then, yeah, I mean, at the moment, we've got to wait. But yeah, the team has three good options."

When asked if he had directly spoken to Sainz, Gasly stated, "I did my fair share of the job, but ultimately I believe in the projects we're building with Alpine and I always back the team up. Now it's up to him to make his own decision."

Alpine, a team that previously secured titles under their Benetton and Renault guises, has a seat to fill following the announcement that Frenchman Esteban Ocon will be departing at the end of the year.

Potential candidates for the vacancy include Jack Doohan, the reserve driver and son of MotoGP legend Mick Doohan, and Mick Schumacher, currently part of Alpine's world endurance squad.

Market dynamics

Other teams such as Sauber, set to rebrand as Audi in 2026, and Williams have also shown interest in Sainz, though Williams might have cooled on the idea due to Sainz's apparent hesitation to commit to a long-term deal. Williams currently sits ninth out of ten in the constructors' championship, while Sauber is last and Alpine is eighth.

Sainz added a touch of humor when discussing his impending decision, saying he had been preoccupied with watching Spain clinch the European Championship football tournament. More earnestly, he opined that his choice wouldn't significantly influence other drivers' decisions.

"It's only the timing that I'm changing, I'm not changing the outcome of anyone as probably all teams by now have their priorities and their decisions depending on each scenario," he said.

Stay tuned as the driver market continues to unfold.

Up Next

Season-Defining Headlines

Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen after the Spanish GP at Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, June 23, 2024.

F1 2024: A year in pictures – the fight for supremacy among Red Bull, McLaren, Ferrari, and Mercedes

Max Verstappen clinches fourth consecutive F1 title at the 2024 Las Vegas Grand Prix